It is no secret that travel time in Lagos, Nigeria is one of the worst in the world. Los Angeles is known for its epic traffic problems, but Lagos exceeds Los Angeles by a mile. The city is not very big, in fact, it is one of the smaller cities but has well over 20 million people making it the most crowded little city. Commuters spend about 6 hours a day sitting in traffic.
The amount of space is so minimal, and the market demands more space. With that many people trying to get around town all day every day in this congested area it is not surprising that there are so many problems.
The impact on the people
1. There are quite a few accidents that happen daily, some which end up in death. *For every 100,000 people, there are 28 deaths. This is a much higher amount than in most places.
2. The stress level of people living and/or working in this city is very high. It’s taking a severe mental and physical toll on people. As congestion has risen so has the number of suicides.
3. The stress of commuting has also caused a decrease in workplace productivity. It makes it hard when you spend so much of the day in traffic. On top of that, poor air quality is causing more health issues. It would be difficult for anyone to be productive.
4. The air quality has become a problem. *The pollution in Lagos is 5 times higher than the recommended limit.
5. Economic loss is in the millions because people are stuck in their vehicles rather than working and making purchases.
Although there are quite a few things that can be done, it will require a lot of change in the coming years. There are many ways we can combat these problems.
1. Work Remotely
Employers can allow their employees to work remotely. It could take some time for companies to get used to this idea, but it could not only help reduce the number of cars on the road but could help decrease stress and improve productivity. Image employees being able to work instead of sitting in traffic.
2. Public Transit
Lagos currently has a railway that runs East to West, but more transit systems need to be added. The city is currently working on expanding its system, but this means a lot of changes to the infrastructure. When all is done it will take people off the road. The city is also looking at making use of the water with the use of ferries. They will need to add a separate bus lane, better walking, and biking areas. All these transit options will be linked which will create a much easier transit experience.
If there are 4 people in 1 car that is 3 less cars on the road. Imagine how much space that would save. Commuting with friends, family, colleagues, and neighbors can help ease the traffic. Some cities offer incentives for carpooling which can help get more people to do it.
4. Eco Cars
Filtering in more eco-friendly hybrid cars will help with air pollution. All-electric vehicles require charging stations. Although this will take time to implement, this is something Lagos really needs to help with pollution.
5. Rerouting Trucks
It’s no shock that trucks take up a lot of room on the road. The city will need to provide alternate routes around the city that the trucks can use. This will keep many of these trucks out of the more congested areas.
Over the next few decades, serious changes will need to take place. There are already companies trying to implement these plans. Vroom plans on being part of this change to help improve the air and free up the roads.